Thursday, June 6, 2013

Bonjour

Mont Saint Michael, Brittany,
December 2011
Bonjour is about as far as my French extends.  I'm really bad at speaking it and I keep getting French words confused with Italian and Spanish words.  I haven't spent enough time in France, nor have I tried hard enough to learn the language!  Given that this is actually my fourth trip to France, I should have got further than Bonjour.
Paris, November 2011

Over the past couple of years I have had an autumnal weekend in Paris in November 2011, Christmas in Brittany in December 2011 and a few days cycling around Provence in June 2012.

My trip cycling in Provence with three other friends rates as one of my best 'mini-breaks' from London.  I found travel by bicycle such a great way to experience the sights and smells of a place.

It also helped that our trip was around Provence.  Could a region be any more beautiful.  We cycled around 50km a day stopping off at various villages along the way.  The one that stands out in my mind still is Gordes.  Gordes is on the list of Les Plus Beaux Villages de France (the most beautiful villages of France) (http://www.les-plus-beaux-villages-de-france.org/en/the-most-beautiful-villages-of-france).  It was easy to see why, perched high on a hill filled with stunning architecture and a view across the valley below.  The village is close to Avignon and if you are ever in the area I'd highly recommend a detour to visit the town.
Gordes, June 2012

The other fantastic aspect of a cycling trip in France is that all the exercise negates any need to feel guilty about the calorific food.  If anything, the extra pastries were almost a necessity - I really needed that energy to get up those hills (and even then one of two hills may have defeated me, yes, I got off and pushed my bike, oh the shame).

I have now made it to the south west of France, perhaps slightly less touristy but without doubt worth visiting if you ever get the chance.  I'm currently in Lot-et-Garonne which is about half way between Bordeaux and Toulouse.

Penne d'Agenais, June 2013
On this particular trip, which I am spending with my Mum, we are house sitting for a family friend.  It has been a great way to spend a couple of weeks in the region as it has given us the time to relax but also explore at a more leisurely pace. We have driven to small country villages (Monflaquin (another village which makes Les Plus Beaux Villages de France) and Penne d'Agenais being two highlights); shopped in markets, marveling at the skinned rabbits and pigeons on sale; visited a chateau (Chateau du Bonaguil is well worth a visit, it was practically deserted when we visited in June - what a treat to be able to explore a chateau without masses of people around: http://www.chateau-bonaguil.com/); walked down quiet country lanes; and we have even managed to have a couple of swims in the pool where we are staying.

The late spring has proven to be a fantastic time of year to be here.  The weather isn't too hot (although we have had a little bit too much rain for my liking) and the produce is outstanding: white asparagus, impossibly sweet strawberries, cherries, and broad beans (which are a personal favourite of mine). There have also been the standard French treats: baguettes, cheese, pastries, crepes, did I mention the cheese.  And then there are the regional specialties: foie gras, duck confit, and prunes. I was even brave enough to try escargot for the first time, surprisingly delicious.

It has been a very relaxing couple of weeks.  We must be relaxed as Mum and I are both losing track of the days (although I'd argue her, more than I!)  I'm keeping track enough to know that I fly back to London in two days time.

No comments:

Post a Comment